Benicasim is a seaside town in the province of Castellón. Given its ideal location on the Mediterranean coast, it is the perfect spot for stunning views, pleasant sunshine and good music.
Benicasim has a 6-kilometre coastline, divided in five beaches:
- Voramar, A beach where you can walk along while gazing at the sumptuous and historical villas which were built at the beginning of the 20th century.
- La Almadraba, A beach named after one of the fishing tools used in this area in the past.
- Torreón or Torre de San Vicente, A beach named after the splendid watchtower located there and where a lot of events are held throughout the year.
- Els Terrers, A beach where the masts of the sailing school of Generalitat Valenciana rest.
- Helliópolis, A beach with a long promenade where you can find a library by the sea, Biblioteca del Mar.
In addition to the sea views, you can admire the breathtaking scenery of the natural park called Desierto de las Palmas, which shows the perfect harmonious environment between the sea and the mountain and offers an incomparable panoramic view of the coastal area of Benicàssim.
Besides enjoying the magnificent beaches in Costa de Azahar, you can take part in a large number of activities such as Ruta de las Villas, a route to visit the beautiful villas in Benicasim; a visit to Torre de San Vicente, a 16th-century watchtower; a trip to Desierto de las Palmas, a preserved natural park with a great species richness and landscape; a day AT the waterpark Aquarama, an amusement park for the whole family; a 15-km-long cycle tour and so on.
In Benicasim, you can find typical dishes of the Mediterranean style cooking such as fish and seafood, delicious casseroles, and, of course, the best paellas and rice dishes in the area.
For desserts, Benicasim offers its visitors local fresh fruit, muscat grapes and oranges from local orchards, served with the famous Carmelitano liquor, produced by the monks in Desierto de las Palmas.
Festival Internacional de Benicasim (FIB)
The Festival Internacional de Benicàssim is an independent music festival which has been held annually in Benicàssim in mid-July since 1995, where indie pop, indie rock, electronica and other types of music are played and other activities such as theatre, fashion, and film shows are organized.
The festival venue is on the outskirts of Benicàssim, by the N-340 road. Its vast area has allowed for activities tents to be set up as the festival has continued to grow in popularity.
Some of the most notable artists who have played on the FIB stages include The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Stone Roses, Chemical Brothers, The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Depeche Mode, Wilco, Iggy and The Stooges, Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen, The Raconteurs, Siouxsie, Mika, My Bloody Valentine, Hot Chip, Gnarls Barkley, and many more bands and artists.
All information on the Festival Internacional de Benicàssim can be found on its website:
Rototom Sunsplash is the largest reggae festival in Europe., reggae and dancehall music is played everywhere while other activities take place, such as cultural debates, talks about reggae music and rastafari culture, films and documentaries, photo and art exhibitions, workshops on percussion, African dance, capoeira, didgeridoo, meditation and alternative medicine.
Leisure activities are arranged for the large number of children who attend the festival by professional teams. Rototom is more than a musical event; it is a way of spending your family holidays.
The festival relocated to Benicàssim, Spain, for its 17th edition in 2010. Since then, Rototom Sunsplash has been held on the outskirts of Benicàssim, by the N-340 road, the last week of August.
Benicàssim Blues Festival
- By car: CN- 340 and motorway Ap 7 (exits 45 or 46)
- By plane: 75 km from Valencia airport; 170 km from Reus airport; 275 km from Barcelona airport; 40 km from Vilanova – Castellón airport.
- By sea: Valencia and Castellón.
More information: http://turismo.benicassim.es/